May 19, 2012
The people encouraged to vote for the States’ Champion for Disabled People are:
1. Disabled islanders
In Guernsey this is defined as follows:
People with disabilities, or disabled people, include those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which, in interaction with various barriers, may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
2. Close family members of disabled people – e.g. spouses, children, siblings, grandparents.
3. Staff and volunteers of a charity (or other voluntary organisation) that supports disabled people and their family members/ carers.
4. Professionals who support disabled people and their family members/carers. This includes health and social care professionals caring for disabled people, teachers and admin staff supporting disabled children in schools, civil servants whose work involves disabled people eg at Social Security, Housing etc plus staff at private companies that provide services to disabled people.
You can vote even if:
• You have a family member who usually signs papers for you (a guardian).
• You are in hospital.
• You have lived in Guernsey for less than five years.
However, you must be at least 16 years old on Wednesday 30 May 2012.