The election for States Champion for Disabled People will take place on Friday 1st June 2012.
This is what the Champion does:
- Listens to the concerns of disabled islanders, their familes and the charities and professionals who support them.
- Guides people towards the help that is available.
- Looks at any changes the States plan to make from a disabled person’s point of view.
- Makes speeches about disabled people’s issues in States meetings.
- Encourages other States members to learn more about disabled people and their concerns.
- Raises awareness in the media of the barriers disabled people face.
- Helps develop and put into action the States’ Disability Strategy to improve support for disabled people.
If you are a disabled islander, a close family member or you work with or support disabled islanders in some way, find out how to vote here.
To hear a GDA interview on BBC Guernsey about the election, go to 25 mins in here.